
A major review is underway at Jönköping's regional hospital after approximately 80 children with heart conditions were incorrectly declared healthy by a single physician. The hospital is now examining medical records for 700 children who received care for heart conditions to determine whether they received proper treatment. The investigation comes after parents noticed their children continued to experience breathing difficulties and low energy levels despite being told they were cured.
Simon Rundqvist, head of the pediatric clinic at Jönköping County Hospital, expressed serious concerns about the situation. "This is not how things should be. You should be able to trust your doctor," Rundqvist told P4 Jönköping. He emphasized that the number of cases where medical assessments fell short of standards was unacceptably high, prompting the comprehensive review currently in progress.
The issue came to light when parents of several children sought medical care again after noticing persistent symptoms. Subsequent examinations by different doctors revealed that the children's heart conditions had not resolved as previously claimed. Several children now require heart surgery that might have been avoided with proper initial diagnosis and treatment.
The physician responsible for the misdiagnoses worked at the hospital for approximately six years before leaving several years ago. Region Jönköping has engaged external experts to assist in reviewing the cases and is recalling all affected children for follow-up examinations. The hospital administration has been unable to contact the former physician for comment despite attempts by local media.
Swedish prosecutors have charged four men aged 20 to 24 with robbery and assault in connection with three separate incidents that occurred in central Stockholm on August 27. The charges include allegations of unprovoked violent attacks with a hate crime motivation, according to court documents released by the Swedish Prosecution Authority.
The defendants are accused of robbing one individual and threatening that person's friend in Stockholm's city center, followed by what prosecutors describe as a severe assault against another person later the same night. Three of the men face additional charges for an assault that took place on the Stockholm metro system during the same evening. All victims in the three separate incidents were reported to have foreign backgrounds, though they had no connection to each other.
Prosecutor Gustav Andersson, who led the preliminary investigation, stated that surveillance footage and photographs show some of the defendants making Nazi salutes in connection with the alleged crimes. During house searches, authorities reportedly discovered materials and symbols indicating connections to right-wing extremism. The indictment specifically references the neo-Nazi and violence-promoting Aktivklubb movement as evidence of the motive behind the alleged offenses.
The Aktivklubb movement represents part of a larger international right-wing extremist network that outwardly focuses on strength training and martial arts. In Sweden, the movement gained traction in 2023 through the Aktivklubb Sverige network, which serves as an umbrella organization for local clubs. According to the Expo Foundation's 2024 annual report, five groups from Skåne to Hälsingland are part of Aktivklubb Sverige, with the number of registered activities increasing significantly last year.